Montag, 30. Juni 2014

Crock Pot Baked Ziti


A while back I stumbled over Crock Pots on Pinterest. In Germany they are not as common as they seem to be in America.
I really wanted to try it out. As it happens a few months later I received a Mulitcooker as a gift. Of course it's not the same (it's better) as a Crock Pot. But it has temperature regulation. The hardest part was to find the actual temperature for HIGH and LOW.

So this is my first attempt. All in all I am satisfied. It's a ridiculously simple recipe and needs no time at all. Especially if you use already grated parmesan and mozzarella.
I always prefer to grate the parmesan myself, it just tastes better. But it's a possibility. That way the preparation time amounts to 5 minutes.

In the original recipe it only says pasta sauce. But there are so many varieties. I couldn't decide which to take. So I took three different ones, Arrabiata, Tomato-Basil and Tomato-Bolognese. One for each layer. The Arrabiata made it a littel hot. So I'm glad I didn't use just that, I'm not a big fan of hot food.
I think next time, if there's going to be a next time, I only use the Bolognese. I liked that best.


_____________________________________________________

Crock Pot Baked Ziti 

500 g Penne Rigate or Ziti, wholewheat
450 g ricotta
2 egg whites
1/2 cup + 1/4 cup parmesan
1/2 cup + 1/2 cup mozzarella, light
ca. 1200 ml pasta sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

1. Coat the Crock Pot with cooking spray.
2. Put the pasta in a colander and rinse them. Put them aside for later.
3. Grate the parmesan.
4. Cut the mozzarella roughly into small cubes.
5. Separate the egg whites from the yolk.
6. Put the ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, 1/2 cup parmesan, the egg whites, salt and pepper in a bowl and with a fork mix everything together.
7. Evenly spread half of the pasta at the bottom of the pot.
8. Carefully pour 500 ml of the pasta sauce over the noodles.
9. Spread half of the ricotta mixture over the sauce. Use a fork to put small quantities on the sauce and carefully spread them.
10. Repeat the pasta, sauce and ricotta layers.
11. Pour the rest of the pasta sauce on top.
12. Cook the pasta for 5-6 hours on low.
13. At the end sprinkle roughly 1/4 cup parmesan and 1/2 cup mozzarella on top and leave it for 10 more minutes or until the cheese has melted.

Bon appétit!!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen